Sunday, January 27, 2008

Six months and counting


Well Folks,

I am now officially down to six months left of my Peace Corps service here in Galati Romania and so to commemorate the moment, I decided to start a blog. (I know I know, why didn't I start this a year and half ago right? what can I say? I'm slow.)

So far, I have had more once-in-a-lifetime experiences in my year and half here than most people have in a lifetime. I am indeed lucky and grateful that I have been able to be part of the Peace Corps. It isn't always you get to be part of something that you really believe in on a fundamental level.

As for when I am coming home. My official release date is July 27th however, that date is fluid by 30 days. So I could potentially be home as soon as June 27th, as late as August 27th.
My plans for what I am going to be doing are really up in the air for now, but some of things I am looking forward to are:

Karly and Kevin's wedding. Kevin and Karly are two Peace Corps volunteers who met when we all first came to the country, feel in love, and are getting married the month after we all get home. It is so romantic and I honestly couldn't think of two people more suited or deserving of each other. I am so excited for them.

Having Sorina and Marian come visit me in the States. This is the married couple who have been my friends, my family, the reason I have made it this far. They are amazing people and I am so grateful they took pity on this crazy American girl who desperately needed them. They are going through the process to apply for a tourist visa to see if they can come this summer. (Getting a visa to the States can be incredibly difficult for Romanians.) Everyone cross their fingers.

Seeing my friends and family. People here ask me why I didn't go home during the holidays and I tell them it is because I would have missed the opportunity to experience them in a foreign country. I don't have any regrets about this decision, but that doesn't mean that I don't wish that everyone from home couldn't have come spent the holidays here. I miss the many friendships I have developed and can not wait to reestablish those as soon as I get home.

I really appreciate the people who have made and extra effort to keep in touch with me. It is really quite an amazing thing to receive an email from someone I didn't expect to hear from. Thank you all for the support you've given me.

I was going to post some pictures of my most recent shenanigans but I haven't got all the pictures and this post didn't quite turn out to be one of "those" blogs so maybe next time. Stay tuned for more of the adventure and excitement!

Cheers!

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Well, well. Welcome to the blogging world. I was blogging for work, but now that's over and I'm thinking of doing a personal blog...nah. My life is too boring. I look forward to hearing about yours though!

Miriam said...

I love that you are doing a blog. I just tagged you in mine so check it out! niemifamily.blogspot.com

Mountain Man said...

It's been great having the chance to read your updates. I've enjoyed your pictures and on the random days where I catch you online and chat with you I feel like we've been lucky to stay friends after such a strange road.
I'm excited for this blog. It's just one more reason why I feel like I should start one too.
6 months to go eh? Can't wait to see ya! ~Dave

Hilary said...

Hooray! I will have to add a link from my blog to yours and I will be checking frequently to see what you are up to. You should check mine, you'll find out what my next big adventure is going to be...hopefully it will be as fun as our Romania/Turkey/Greece trip!!!

Clint said...

Marie!!! You are too cute. Don't feel bad about just recently joining the blog world, as I have only 3 weeks in it as well. We can be newbies together!! I am excited to read about your marvelous misdeeds in the future on your blog. Love ya girl!!

TysonandMarthaGerber said...

Marie! Great blog. I'm excited for the updates and I'm sure you will use your blog as regularly as I use mine.Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Marie I love and miss your stinken guts!!!

.::still blinking::. said...

Hey, it is Makayla, Travis' sister. I am jealous you are traveling, and so glad that you are doing well.

Carla and Carissa said...

Hey Marie,
I am SO happy to see your blog. I can't wait to see you again. Martha is SO right about you and your beautiful personality. I hope you are having fun in Romania.
Love,
Carla Valencia
3021 Alane St.
WVC, UT 84120
801-910-4833